Mar. 11/10 — Nora Gaskin, Susan Shepley
- definition of the reference transaction/interview
- stages of the reference interview
- open and closed questions
- the reference interview and teaching
- Presentation slides:
- Exercises, handouts and activities:
- read the article: Ross, Catherine Sheldrick, and Patricia Dewdney. ”Negative Closure.” Reference & User Services Quarterly. 38.2 (Winter 1998): 151(1).
- read the “Teaching Moment” script we didn’t have time to do in class! It illustrates how to incorporate teaching into the reference interview.
- go to the Reference Interview web page, read the page, and do the 2 online exercises: Help Mark find a professor and Help Betty with a history assignment. Bear in mind that this page was created at Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) so some of the answers are specific to its resources, however they are still fun and instructive, especially if you try the wrong answers as well!
- run these 3 role-playing scenarios with your mentor, same set-up as in class: BST 14 Role Playing Homework. Have fun!